When using D-Cha(Relation database and Webinterface) and SPACE(:Sample
changer robot) for data collection, measurement conditions are specified
by the user via D-Cha on the Internet, downloaded by the user into BSS,
and then data collection is executed using SPACE for changing crystal samples.
Here BSS uses two modes of operation.
- Crystal Evaluation mode
The first mode is Crystal Evaluation, in which the centering position of
each crystal is recorded, the diffraction quality inspected and, optionally,
the XAFS spectrum can also be measured. Once recorded, the centering positions
can be recalled for further diffraction evaluation.
- Data Collection mode
The second mode is Data Collection, which carries out measurements of sample
datasets continuously using the conditions determined beforehand in the
Crystal Evaluation mode. In this mode, the main beam shutter (MBS) and
downstream shutter (DSS) can be controlled remotely, and if measurement
is interrupted due to a beam dump, it will resume automatically when the
ring status has returned to the measurement mode. The MBS and DSS will
shut after all measurements are completed.
The differences between the Crystal Evaluation mode (CE) and the Data Collection
mode (DC) are shown as below.
- SPACE operation during continuous measurements
- CE: Retrieving sample → Cooling robotic arm → Mounting new sample
- DC: Retrieving sample → Drying robotic arm → Cooling robotic arm → Mounting
- SPACE operation on completion of all measurements
- CE: After sample retrieval, BSS shows an option dialogue box for arm drying.
- DC: After sample retrieval, the robotic arm is dried and SPACE is shut
- Measurement operation
- CE: When successive measurements are at the same wavelength, Δθ1 is not
- DC: Δθ1 is tuned before every new measurement.
- Operation of MBS and DSS on completion of measurement
- CE: MBS and DSS are left open.
- DC: When LOCAL+REMOTE is set, MBS and DSS are controlled remotely. If a beam dump occurs during
measurement, measurement will resume automatically after the ring status
has returned to the measurement mode. On completion of measurement, MBS
and DSS are shut.